The Early Years
What We know…
- The foundation of a child’s brain is built in the first 2000 days of their life, with lifelong impacts on learning, behavior and health!
- More than half of the children entering kindergarten in Alberta are experiencing difficulty in one or more domain of development.
- Parents and other caring adults have a key role in supporting children to reach their potential.
- Children benefit when family, school and the broader community work together.
- Conversation is an effective tool and a catalyst for connecting, learning and inspiring further action.
Now that’s a great reason for a conversation!
How can we respond….
Café has worked collaboratively with First 2000 Days Early Childhood Development Network partners to develop Parent Cafe – The Early Years, a converversation resource for exploring healthy foundations for development and learning with parents, caregivers and educators. This resource is designed to ensure that foundational research on the developing brain informs our day to day interactions with children. We invite you to explore how together we can make a difference!
Parent Café – The Early Years is a resource for hosting strength-based conversations with parents and caregivers to build awareness and capacity in their critical role. The conversation approach gives participants the opportunity to make connections, share knowledge and challenges and validate what they are already doing in support of learning and development. The user-friendly conversation guides contain a series of thought-provoking questions around themes known to that impact healthy development, along with accompanying resources to support further learning and action. Access the conversation resource here.
Parent Café conversations can be dedicated events or integrated into other activities or programs where caring adults come together. Additional Parent Café – Supporting Literacy and Learning conversations are oriented to the families, caregivers and educators supporting children entering the school years.
For more information please see: Parent Cafe -The Early Years Overview (ppt) and the Parent Café – Literacy and Learning Overview (ppt).
Would you like to make a difference in supporting children and families in the community? Are you a parent leader, teacher or community educator with an interest in bringing parents together for conversations around supporting learning and healthy development? Are you already doing this work and looking for additional resources? more on Hosting a Parent Café Conversation...