Literacy and Learning
What we know…
- A strong foundation for literacy is critical for future success in life and learning.
- Literacy rates and reading for pleasure are declining.
- Supporting parents and understanding the home environment is key for supporting young learners.
- Children benefit when family, school and the broader community comes together.
- Conversation is an effective tool and a catalyst for connecting, learning and inspiring further action.
Now that’s a great reason for a conversation!
How can We Respond…
In collaboration with Calgary Reads, Cafe supports
collective action to help families and children reach their potential as readers and learners. Cafe supports literacy through our work in community and in the development of the Parent Cafe Literacy and Learning conversation resource, a tool for parents, caregivers and educators to explore together their important role in supporting learning. This tool is designed to ensure that emerging research on literacy, healthy development, and the importance of parent and community engagement in learning informs our day to day interactions with children. We invite you to explore how together we can make a difference!
Engaging parents and community to support our young readers begins with conversation. Our Literacy and Learning Cafe resources can help guide a family, school or community’s to engage all available assets to best support learning. Participants will make connections, share knowledge, challenges, and validate what they are already doing in support of reading and learning overall.
Each of the conversation guides contains a series of thought-provoking questions around a number of themes that are known to positively impact learning outcomes.
- Supporting Literacy: a foundation for learning
- Parents as Partners: Participating in the School Community
- Connecting Learning at Home and School
- Your Child’s Individual Strengths
- Your Child – Your community
- Technology and Learning
Can you imagine the possibilities if the extended community worked together in support of reading? In collaboration with Calgary Read’s ‘Building a Reading Community: An Asset and Action Approach’ offers a roadmap for organizing to make a difference for young readers. These community development informed resources and strategies are designed to help your school and/or extended community work through an easy-to-follow process to help capitalize on all available opportunities and assets and to spark action in support of literacy. contact Cafe or Calgary Reads for more information…