Marigold Library System
The Marigold Library System supports community libraries in developing the networks and relationships that are known to enhance learning, and helps them to build community through sustained working partnerships and relationships.
Marigold Library System was established in 1981 by Gaye Ross, a registered nurse and town Alderman in Drumheller, Lucille Dougherty, librarian and Mayor of High River and Edith Helton, a librarian in Three Hills. These three visionary women travelled across south-central Alberta, meeting with various municipalities and people, to talk about ideas and plans for a good library system. They successfully promoted the idea of greater public library access through collaboration and founded the Marigold Library System.
Today, Marigold is a cooperative network of 37 public libraries in south-central Alberta, serving a population of 251,311 residents. The headquarters for Marigold is located in Strathmore, Alberta. Marigold also maintains 14 Paperback Deposits located in small communities where residents do not require a library card to borrow from a deposit collection but depend on the honor system.
Creating Shared Value
Marigold recognizes that participating municipalities and member libraries have varying service requirements, and Marigold delivers services accordingly. The guiding principle behind Marigold is to pool resources in order to ensure a positive return on investment, regardless of the size of the municipality.
Marigold’s Vision: “Leaders in library service and innovation”
Mission: “To cultivate a collaborative library community to support a range of responsive, quality library services.
- Effective advocacy on behalf of the Marigold Community
- A regional network for communication and resource sharing
- Investment in technological innovation to respond to community needs
- Partnerships to benefit the Marigold Community
- Learning opportunities to support the Marigold Community in their ability to carry out their roles and responsibilities
- Collections that support and reflect the diverse needs and interests of the community
- Well-managed resources to ensure maximum benefit to member libraries
Web site: www.marigold.ab.ca