Resources and Tools
Café provides a space to share quality, vetted resources that may be helpful to share with parents, caregivers and community members working to support child development and learning. While this is not meant as a comprehensive listing, navigating the vast amount of information now available can be overwhelming. We hope that these recommendations help to build an appreciation for the wealth of resources available in the community and inspire access and connections to further information and experience. Have you found resources that you would like to share with others? We welcome your contributions and recommendations as we work to keep these resources relevant and current.
The following recommended resources correspond to each of the Parent Cafe conversation cafe themes and are provided in a consolidated list for easy access. Included are resources that Café has found helpful and inspiring for our work. Additional quality resources can be accessed through the links to initiatives, organizations and institutions below.
For resources specific to Community Conversation and Asset-based-community-development please visit Café’s Resource Library. For research oriented articles and institutions visit the Cafe for Parents research page.
Cafe for early years resources
- Parent Café: The Early Years Resource List (Building a healthy foundation, Relationship and ‘serve and return’ interactions, Environment and Stress, Skills for life and learning – Executive function)
- Early Learning & Family Supports: A Practical Guide – A Model to Apply Neuroscience Research to Early Childhood Development Initiatives, May 2009, Greg Pratt, B.Sc. and Robbin Gibb, Ph.D.
Cafe for school years resources
- Parents as partners resources
- Supporting Literacy
- Connecting learning at home and school resources
- Your child’s individual strengths resources
- Supporting technology resources (coming soon)
- Your Child Your Community (coming soon)
Community Initiatives, organizations and institutions
- First 2000 Days Network
- Alberta Family Wellness Initiative
- Centre on the Developing Child – Harvard University
- Foothills Children’s Wellness Network
- Calgary Reads
- Alberta Education
- Stay Smart, Stay Safe
- People for Education
- Parent Further – A Search Institute Resource for Families
- Alberta Human Services – Family & Community
- Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning